Thursday, March 6, 2008

An Explosion...and An Apology

For those of you following the news Thursday (3/6/08) morning, yes, there was an explosion in Times Square. And yes, because it's New York, the entire city simultaneously shit their pants and blocked off several blocks around the explosion site. As it turns out, some tool on a bike threw an "incideniary device" (read: something like a pipe bomb) at a military recruiting office. Then he GOT AWAY ON A BICYCLE. To repeat...the "mad bomber" who shut down Times Square was able to use his high criminal intellect to elude police ON A BICYCLE. Yup, good to see the city's police force has improved since 9/11. What, your Segways couldn't catch up to his high-tech escape vehicle? Quick, warn Schwinn and Huffy that TERRORISTS could soon be buying their products. Asses.

Now to the apology. As a news producer, since I started working in the business 8 years (and change) ago, I have strived to put quality stories in my newscasts. Yeah, crime stories made it in (because I thought they were interesting) and the occasional water-skiing squirrel made it in too (but who DOESN'T love animals on waterskis?)...but for the most part, I tried to make sure my viewers had a reason to stick around. Alas, my soul has now been crushed. I've been informed that "story count" matters more than "story quality." So, my viewers, if you can stomach the "school forum" and "bond vote informational meeting" and "conference on the aged...and senile" stories, I promise to put in at least one good story in my hour-long newscast. But for the most part, my blog will continue to be the only thing really worth tuning in for.
-B-

No comments: