Thursday, December 25, 2008

Dear Santa

I have been a good boy all year. I have not poked anyone in the eye...even though there were some who ranked VERY high on my own personal "Naughty" list. I have tried to put smiles on the faces of people who talk to me, read my blog and even sometimes see me in the newsroom making faces behind anchors who are reading a story about a waterskiing squirrel. But this year, I don't want any presents for myself. Instead, I have a few friends whose wishes should be fulfilled for Christmas.

First, John McCain. I would like you to give him the internet. And an ipod. And a cell phone. Pretty much anything to get him on track with the current technology. Also, a subscription to the Wall Street Journal (however long it remains in print). With that, I hope he's able to FINALLY understand the economic crapper we're in. Finally, a different running mate. It's been a hard year for Mr. McCain.

Alaska Governor Sarah Palin...a map of the world, so she may finally identify Africa as a continent and not a country. Also, a subscription to ANY newsmagazine so she can be ready for the next "gotcha" interview with Katie Couric.

President-Elect Barack Obama...the good sense to know if he gets in too deep in the middle of ANYTHING during his administration, and the better sense to admit to it.

Outgoing President George W. Bush...I'm sure there are a LOT of things people what Mr. Bush to get this Christmas, including a swift kick in the ass. I, however, would rather he have one thing: clarity. The clarity one gets when one looks back on the past several years and seriously considers decisions that could (and should) have been made differently. And if you have any extra room under his tree, can you give him a weapon of mass destruction too? He's been looking for one for YEARS, and apparently they're harder to find than the Wii Fit.

Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich...humility. Please let him know it's OKAY to admit when he's done something wrong. His predecessors refused to admit defeat, but some of them still ended up behind bars. Pride will only get you picking up the soap. On that same note, can you also leave him a better toupee? Mr. Blagojevich, much like you claiming you haven't done anything wrong...YOU'RE NOT FOOLING ANYONE.

The American middle-to-lower class...a bright spot in their lives. It's been a hard year, with gas prices hitting record highs, airlines charging for baggage, the economic nosedive, the downturn in auto sales and the resulting layoffs, sitting through a vice-presidential debate with Sarah Palin (though that WAS entertaining), sending MORE troops to the middle east for a war that's now gone on for 7 years and a Britney Spears "comeback." Seriously, haven't we been through ENOUGH this year?

My sister and brother-in-law...some time to relax and enjoy being married. They tied the knot in April at a beautiful ceremony, but since then, he's been fighting several health problems, including open heart surgery three weeks before Christmas. They really deserve a break. I mean, it's hard enough being related to me...

My family and friends...these are the people I hold most dear, and I would like them to get a large dose of happiness. We've all had ups and downs this year. We've lost loved ones. We've married and given birth. We've made major changes in our professional and personal lives...and those changes will only continue.

The joy of this season is truly not in the PRESENTS we open, but in the ARMS we open...to greet a friend, relative or even a total stranger with the gift of love. It's the best gift of all.
(Don't worry...my sappiness probably won't last much past the first of the year. But my heart grew three sizes too big before I wrote this blog, so I decided to enjoy an egg nog instead of a humbug.)
Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah and Happy Kwanzaa!
-B-

2 comments:

Kat said...

Dude, the water skiing squirel is just good tv dammit.

Merry Christmas.

Anonymous said...

we love you too:)