Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Guest Blogger: Holly Iverson!!!

Hey, Hard Thinkers. Normally you'd see more of the Hottest Mess Tournament, but we're de-toxing this week in favor of a guest blog by intern Holly Iverson. We're thrilled to have her...and please give her your undivided attention:

Well hello there. Thinking Hard asked me to write about my trip to the wonderful and very colorful Bahamas (I'm not just talking about the buildings). I agreed, but I should've agreed on only one condition: that you listen to what I consider my cruise theme song, while reading the post. After all, I was on a boat and, it was goin' fast and... well, you get the point.



Here's a little background information about my trip: I booked a 5 night cruise to the Bahamas on the Carnival Fantasy (see exhibit A) with my friend from college, Christine. Yes, Christine's a female. Yes, so am I. No, we're not lesbian lovers. Apparently, if you're going to go on a cruise with a friend of the same sex, you're supposed to bring several of them along... not just one. We got funny looks the whole time, and it wasn't just because my sunglasses left a very unflattering sunburn line around my face. Lesson learned.

Exhibit A:



The boat holds somewhere around 2,400 people like me, and about 850 people who, unfortunately, have to work. Needless to say, it was a big boat with some great views...





The best view was from our stateroom though..



The views off the boat were okay too, I guess.







But the most remarkable thing about the trip was meeting the locals. Yes, they really do worship Bob Marley and yes, the really do say 'Mon at the end of most sentences. They also have great pick-up lines. Apparently, American girls are so attractive in their eyes, even the older women couldn't stop hitting on me and Christine (maybe they heard that we shared a room.. hmm...). Every straw market booth we walked by, someone would say, "Hey pretty girl, come and take a look at what I got. It's free to look! See anything you like?" Okay, fine. I knew they weren't hitting on us, they just wanted our money. But the compliments were a good self-esteem booster when I realized (on a daily basis) that it was only 11:30 am and me and Christine had already finished our second ice cream cone. Yea, that's what happens when there are 5 ice cream machines, strategically placed around the boat. I could hardly go to the bathroom without being bombarded with cookies and ice cream and... pizza...

Anyway, even if I had been interested in one of the locals, I was kindly reminded by the government to be careful before... rocking the boat...



Thanks ya'll... I reckon I've had a blast writin' for ya'll.

No comments: