Sunday, September 30, 2012

It's. Just. A. Game. So CHILL OUT!

Breaking news from the Thinking Hard offices...I'm told as of 9:21 am ET Sunday, September 30, 2012...this blog has had 9,983 pageviews since its inception. We're almost to 10k, people! By this time next week, I imagine we'll have hit that mark. Prepare the party hats... But I'm being told I only have one minute left to write this week's blog because we had to leave more time for Justin Beiber and Usher. Billie Joe Armstrong, lead singer of Green Day, what do YOU think about only having one minute left? My point exactly. I am the fucking 80s. Also, Armstrong went to rehab shortly after and the rest of the band said they were NOT cut short. So, no, Billie Joe Armstrong, I don't have the time to listen to you whine about nothing and everything all at once. Let's see Justin Beiber's response... Yeah, that's how we all feel about your music, Justin. Unless we're girls younger than 25. Hey, I'd like to get something off my chest if you'll indulge me for a moment. A couple of sports stories caught my attention this week. First, a reporter tweeted something that got people upset. Unfortunate that there are now enough people with so little time on their hands that a random tweet caught their attention. Also unfortunate that it was tweeted in the first place. Ah, internet...are there any lives you CAN'T ruin? Also, anyone catch the NFL bullshit? While I'm talking about the story of the replacement refs filling in because of a contract dispute with the actual refs, I'm not referring DIRECTLY to that. No, I'm referring to the backlash from the fans. Oh. Mylanta. If you weren't following it, the nutshell is the replacement referees made some bad calls because, y'know, they're replacements and fans got REALLY pissed. Because there's nothing more distressing than having bad calls on the football field...except, maybe, NO GAMES AT ALL. And let's consider how much attention this story got in the mainstream media...which, I WILL quote Sarah Palin this time, can truly be considered the "lamestream" media. This was treated like a damn war! Except, of course, that the NEWS of ACTUAL WARS was shoved aside to make room for this dumb fucking story in newscasts. Come on, people! You should only be really upset if you're pissing away $15,000 on a bet on the Packers/Seahawks game...and then, you've got a bigger problem called "gambling addiction." And probably "foreclosure." And "divorce." And likely "alcohol abuse." Seriously, sports fans have done lost their damn minds. And for many, that's just part of a bigger issue. I know people who have passed up spending time with their families to go to games. Unless you're a 7-year-old cancer patient, your precious athletes probably aren't going to be there for you like your family. But I digress. I guess I could've just left this to Jon Stewart...
The Daily Show with Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
NFL Referee Labor Dispute
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full EpisodesPolitical Humor & Satire BlogThe Daily Show on Facebook
Ah, Jon Stewart's ass makes everything feel better... Look, sports fans, I have nothing against you. I would just like to see your religious fanaticism directed toward something...else. That's all. I love you crazy kids. Tell you what...let's end this week's blog with a shared laugh. The moral...always read the fine print. -B-

No comments: