Friday, March 13, 2009

And now for something slightly different...

Hey, Hard Thinkers (take that however you prefer), we're going to change things up a little bit today. If you're a faithful reader (and why wouldn't you be???), you know I'm likely in this blog to let my mind wander, hit on several items in one blog and be as entertaining as possible. Not today.

One quick note and I'll be on to the main topic...a former colleague of mine passed away this week. Chuck Olmstead was one of the most entertaining people I had the fortune of meeting in Louisville, Kentucky (and there were a lot...most of them reading the very blog). Fresh out of Iowa, he surprised me on several levels...his deadpan humor, his ability to dig a story out of nowhere, his ability to TELL that story in a way that entertained AND informed me, and his New England accent (somewhat out of place in Louisville, Kentucky). But he was always genuine whenever I talked to him. If he was in a bad mood, I knew it...but he never took it out on me. If he was in a good mood, I knew it...and he shared it with me. A quick wit, a sense of style...Chuck Olmstead had it all. Thanks, Chuck, for sharing it with me.

Now to the business at hand. If you read last week's blog (and why wouldn't you???), you probably saw my clip of a Daily Show story on all the errors committed by CNBC during the build-up to our current economic crisis. Well, Mad Money host Jim Cramer got a little peeved by how many times HE appeared in the story, pushing people to buy when they should have sold. He spoke out against Jon Stewart on "Today"...and Stewart continued to tweak that nerve:

The Daily Show With Jon StewartM - Th 11p / 10c
Basic Cable Personality Clash Skirmish '09
thedailyshow.com
Daily Show
Full Episodes
Economic CrisisPolitical Humor


So, Stewart hosted Cramer for a lengthy interview that some call a "ripping" by Stewart. I disagree. I think it was a poignant debate and if anyone who criticizes the Daily Show as "liberal" or "just a comedy show", but has/had money in the stock market, I think Stewart cemented himself as "not just another comedy show host...but someone who knows what the fuck he's talking about and is willing to stand up for those who like him AND those who hate him." I hear he's putting it on business cards. Please take about 23 minutes out of your day and watch this entire interview. Thank you, Jon:

Part One:




Part Two:



Part Three:


-B-

No comments: