Sunday, June 9, 2013

June=Nerdapalooza...and I LOVE IT!!!

Greetings from Charlotte, North Carolina, home of the annual HeroesCon Comic (and etc.) Convention. It's always a lot of fun with good art and great writers of the trade. But for the first time this year, convention attendees get a little EXTRA fun...the building that's holding the comic convention is also holding the STATE GOP CONVENTION! I'm telling you, I saw a LOT of nicely dressed old people walking through yesterday, trying to understand why some of the young'uns in line for the comic con were wearing full spandex outfits of Spider-Man...and several other characters they've never heard of and will never experience before the upcoming ends of their lives. SOOOOO entertaining. Also, it should be noted that the annual Electronics Entertainment Expo kicks off this week. Microsoft is making waves with its new Xbox video game console, the Xbox One. One of the key sticking points is that it requires the owner/user to connect to the internet on a fairly regular basis. Guys, remember when it was just an Atari or Nintendo? When you just plugged shit in and played it? Didn't have to worry about bandwidth. It was a good time. Sure, there are AMAZING games now. But for a company to basically require an internet connection to play those games? Terrible. And here's where I make my transition into national/local news this week. You know what else is terrible? Hearing "We're following breaking news...a little child/puppy/old Republican is missing. Let's go live to the search..." No one gives a shit. Breaking news is too often just BS to get eyes to a TV set. But here's a unique approach from a Fox (if you can believe it) station in Louisville, Kentucky: Breaking broken news. Outstanding. But I'm sure at least people at THAT station can tolerate each other...unlike THIS station: As I recall, one of those Type-A chicks is a beauty queen. Fits. Hey, take a look at this next story and see how many double entendres you can come up with. I can think of about a MILLION: My favorite part (aside from the thief wearing the fake wig to come back to the store...and dropping the ever important BOTTOM HALF of the mannequin) is where the reporter says the store brings couples closer together...and they show the handcuffs. TOO CLOSE! TOO CLOSE! I should be attached to a bed frame, not my partner.

Hey, I tried to download a piece of video, but I'm going to have to send you to this link instead. Sorry. But it's totally worth it. A couple of stations in Texas were covering a serious traffic issue. And one station decided to tweet another station's live coverage pictures out to ITS viewers. So that station called them on it. On air. This brief commercial is nothing short of AMAZING. Go watch it, then come right back. I'll wait.

.............

Oh, good, you're back. And now, my weekly award for the civilian who ABSOLUTELY did not want to be interviewed by her local TV station (who, frankly, just wanted to tell her someone had been arrested in the shooting of her daughter): ABC6 - Providence, RI and New Bedford, MA News, Weather Doesn't she kinda look like Jay-Z's sister? Looks almost as good as the most famous woman in Florida: I'm out. I have comics to buy and read.

-B-

No comments: